Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

GETTING PISSED!!

Ok so I am to the point where I am going to start freaking out on the stupid nurse practitioner that has been working with Miles if she doesnt start doing what she says. It all has to do with Miles feeding and I know they are feeding him way to much. They set a limit for him saying that he needs to have a max of 50 cc for a feeding but he had no min. Well this morning they finally gave him a min of 44cc. And because he hasnt been "taking the bottle" they put the stupid feeding tube back in. I however think they are over feeding him. They always put 50 cc in his bottle and he takes usually about 30-35cc sometimes he even takes the whole 50. However since they put that stupid feeding tube back in if he doesnt finish the bottle after 30 mins they end up putting the remaining cc into the feeding tube, therefore he is getting 50 cc no matter what every 3 hours. This is why I think they are over feeding him. Those of you that have kids what do you think?
He is suppose to come home tomorrow around noon and if it doesnt happen I am going to have a huge yelling match. My kid is perfectly fine now. Sorry just needed to vent.

7 comments:

naezandkidz said...

Cammie, Listen to your gut...I had the same feeling with Addy when she was born except that I didnt think she was getting enough to eat. I dont know how many times I told them they always told me it was normal. Well come to find out she got jaundice really bad and the dr. said it was because she was not getting enough to eat and then had nothing to digest so she couldnt get rid of the jaundice. Stick to your guns :) He is your kid and you have the mothers tuition(spelling?) you know what is right for him. I hope everything works out.

Mecham Family said...

as long as he is not loosing weight or having trouble with jaundice let him eat what he wants. If he is done after 35cc call it good. He will let you know if he wants more. Hang in there, it will get better soon.

The Olsons said...

I agree and if you are concerned ask for a second opinion and if they get mad then it is because they are worried about someone checking up on the care they are providing.

When Parker was born he was pretty fussy after I would fed him and the nurses just kept telling me he was still hungry since he was such a big baby (10 lbs 2 oz. I wanted him 100% breastfed and they would slip in a formula when he was in the nursry becuase they "thought" he was hungry, and then he would puke all over them everytime...HI guys he has acid reflux...he was NOT hungry

sometimes you just have to follow your gut...he is your baby not theirs...i wish i would have told them about how pissed I was about how they were feeding him formula

Cara Jones said...

You are his best advocate! A good friend of mine had to ask for a new nurse TWICE for her twins (when they were in the hospitals for several weeks) So don't be afraid to speak up about ALL of your concerns. Also, we all need to remember that doctors and nurses did go to school for something, so they do know what they are talking about (for the most part). Even though we have "Mother's Intuition" some of their reasoning can be for the best! BUT that doesn't mean we can't question their decisions. I know that the hospital situation can be so frustrating (my sister did it with 3 kids), but sometimes it really is for the best to have a healthy baby when you get him home!!!!! Good luck!

Garretts said...

My advice is take it easy and listen to the Dr. They have studied and have quite a bit of knowldge, but in the end you are the mom. Pray about it and do what's best for your kid.

Just a little side note 50cc is not too much. Kids this age need to be getting at least 60cc (that's what our pediatrician told us). Drew wouldn't eat more than 30-45cc and the Dr. at the hospital really wanted me to push 60 down. It's nearly impossible to do so without a feeding tube. Anyway, they let us go home only to have to return to the hospital the very next day because his jaundice level was too high. The only way to get rid of billirubin (what causes jaundicde) is to pee or poop it out, so the more the kid eats the better off they are in the end.
Oh, so bottom line is I had to feed Drew 60cc every 2-3 hours!! It wasn't fun but it's what helped him get better (plus the light treatment - they can also expel billirubin through the skin under UV lights).

Julie Phillips said...

Hang in there Cammie, having anyone else handle your brand new baby can be unsettling. Once you're home you'll feel in control.
Julie found this website and wanted to share it with you:

PopsicleCenter.com
Parent Organized Partnerships Supporting Infants and Children Learning to Eat.

Dutch said...

Hi Cammie, As far as feeding that baby goes, when he's had enough he will refuse to eat any farther. If not he will scream his head off when you take it away.
Further, It looks like you are having a ball playing with a real life doll :). I think with a Mommy like you he will be a great kid when he grows bigger. I can't wait to hold him.
Love you all three,
Opa